There are more than five ways to be a good cottage neighbour, but let’s start with DOs and DON’Ts of PARTIES, as suggested recently by the Muskoka Lakes Association (MLA):
- Remember that noise, including casual conversation and barking dogs, amplifies as it travels over the water surface.
- Try not to inflict your taste in music on your neighbours.
- Inform your neighbours when you’ll be hosting a party… perhaps invite them, too.
- Reduce unnecessary outdoor lighting so that everyone can see the stars at night.
- Let your neighbours sleep in (a bit) in the mornings by delaying use of power tools until at least 9 am.
For more on these topics, see www.mla.on.ca/mlacode
Photo courtesy of Tegan Mierl, Unsplash